Once a friend of mine sent me a picture of a statue of a woman with her hands cupping her head, over the outside of the statue, every 1/2 inch were pins sticking out... She wrote to me, "Ever feel like this?"
I was a single mother of a daughter and a son who thought he was the offspring of either Evil Kinevil or Attila the Hun. Of course I felt like that.
Actually, in the middle of my divorce I thought I was losing it. I mean for real. Once I pulled up to the red light in our town and I could not remember which direction a neighboring town was. I had to pull over and sit for a good 15 min before I got it back. That scared me. I also heard someone call my name a few times when there was no one there. I was beginning to have visions of me in a rubber room wearing a straight jacket.
As soon as the divorce was over and my kids and I got resettled, my wounds from my marriage/divorce started to heal, all those symptoms left. However, I was experiencing symptoms of OCD and agoraphobia (fear of leaving the house). I controlled them, but they stayed with me until I took herbs to nourish my nervous system. Now I am totally symptom free 100% of the time.
I once went to a lecture where the world renowned speaker said that, "The cause of all disease is STRESS".
I don't necessarily agree with that, but it does play havoc on the body.
He also said that we humans need some stress and compared us to a violin. If there is no stress on the strings, you can not make music...too much stress and it snaps. Stress does motivate and excite, but most of us do not lack stress in our lives, so I will not even cover that topic. If you do have too little, call me up, I will give you some of mine. :o)
Health Conditions Caused or Aggravated by Stress
Understanding the Myelin Sheathing on the Nervous System
I have a Stressed Out! beginner lecture online usually the 4th Wednesday of the month at 8:00 PM EST. They are free and help you understand more fully why the herbs are in the protocol and more about stress and how to keep it from ravaging your health. If you are interested or have any personal questions feel free to contact me.
Let's first define the structure and function of the Nervous System. To best understand this you can compare the nerve to a copper wire.
Nutrients which help support and soothe the Nervous System
Things that are hard on the Nervous system
Top 10 ways to relieve stress in your life
10. Eat Properly - A good diet will help your body handle stress better.
9. Cut out the bad stuff - Junk food, coffee, tea, soda and caffeine
8. Get Plenty of rest.
7. Take time for yourself, to unwind and regroup.
6. Exercise - helps release endorphins and drains out excess adrenaline.
5. Take supplements and nutrients to support the nervous system
4. Balance you health. One part of the body affects the whole body.
3. Get close to God. Studies have proven that people who feel they have a close relationship to God are over all healthier.
2. Use your sense of Humor - Laughing releases endorphins and mood elevating chemicals in the brain. It relaxes some muscles also.
1. Learn and practice saying no, if it is putting stress in your life. If you are like me, a chronic volunteer. No excuse is necessary. Just say, "I would love to, but I can't". And smile. Say it like you would say, please pass the salt. As a matter of fact there is a program called SETTING LIMITS THE SOFTPOWER WAY by Maria Arapakis
Other Things to Remember
Emotions can really affect your health in so many different ways. An emotion is an entity unto itself. For instance, when someone is grieving, they sigh. When they are really afraid, they may wet their pants. When someone you love hurts you, you actually feel a physical heaviness in the chest. There are a few ways of working with these emotions such as: Bach Flower; Acupressure; and Aromatherapy.
I also suggest that everyone reads FEELINGS BURIED ALIVE NEVER DIE by Karol Truman Kuhn
I nearly lost it when I was working full time, going through major health problems, going through a divorce, raising 2 kids on my own, while going to school full time. I didn't feel joy in my life. I woke up dreading the day. Stress stole from me the wonders of motherhood and the gift of being alive.
So I hope for all who are reading this that they try to protect themselves from the dangers of excess stress. Because a stressed life is a tough life on the brink of health disaster.